Conditions and Rules for Network, Internet & Computer Use
The Districtís Network, Internet & Computer conditions, Rules and
Acceptable user Protocol include, but are not limited to the following:
• The Burnaby School District provides access to the Internet for
educational and research purposes and to provide opportunities for
• Only the authorized owner of the account shall use an account. Account
holders are responsible for all activity within their accounts.
• Use of account for personal, political or commercial purposes is not
allowed. District provided accounts must not be used to send chain
letters or to harass other users with unwanted email messages.
• Transmission of any material in violation of any Canadian law is
prohibited. This includes, but is not limited to, copyrighted material,
threatening or obscene material, or material protected by trade secret.
• Vandalism and harassment will result in cancellation of user
privileges. Vandalism is defined as any malicious attempt to harm,
modify, and destroy data of another user, or the agencies or other
networks that are connected to the Internet. This includes, but is not
limited to, the uploading or creating of computer viruses. Harassment
includes, but is not limited to, the sending of unwanted mail, the
persistent annoyance of another user, or the interference of another
• Be polite. Do not use abusive languages or images in your messages to
others. Do not criticize the spelling, writing or keyboarding of
• Use appropriate language. Do not swear, use vulgarities or any other
• Do not reveal your personal address or phone number, or those of other
• Do not use the network in such a way that you would disrupt the use of
the network by other users.
• All communications and information accessible via the network is
assumed to be the property of the Burnaby School District. Do not
repost personal e-mail that you receive to public forums (e.g.
listservs, newsgroups) without the permission of the author.
Encounter of Controversial Material
• Users may encounter material that is controversial and which users,
parents, teachers or administrators may consider inappropriate or
offensive. However, on a global network it is impossible to control all
content of data, and an industrious user may discover controversial
material. It is the userís responsibility not to initiate access to
• The Burnaby School District makes no warranties of any kind, whether
expressed or implied, for the service it is providing. The district
will not be responsible for any damages a user suffers. Use of any
information obtained via the Internet is at the userís own risk.
District E-mail account is not guaranteed to be private and can be
monitored by the district personnel if necessary.
Penalties for Improper Use
• Use of the Internet is a privilege, not a right. Inappropriate use,
including any violation of these conditions and rules, Canadian laws or
posted classroom and district rules are subject to loss of network
privileges and other District disciplinary actions.
It is important for students and their families to understand and abide
by the Burnaby School Network, Internet and Computer Conditions, Rules
and Acceptable Protocol. If there is a violation, access to computer
privileges may be lost and other disciplinary and/or legal action may be
I have read, understand and agree to abide by the conditions of computer
use at Byrne Creek Secondary.